There is no doubt that the unprecedented Coronavirus pandemic has forced organisations and individuals alike to rethink the way we conduct business, interact with others, practise good hygiene awareness, and consider our mental and physical health.
Some of these learnings have provided businesses with the opportunity to implement permanent, positive changes.
Here are four ways we predict the commercial cleaning industry will change for the better:
More emphasis on cleaning
For many, the rapid spread of Coronavirus was a wake-up call to the importance of proper cleaning and hygiene practices. While a quick supermarket spray n’ wipe solution was the standard weekly cleaning procedure for many, COVID-19 shows that professional cleaning is a major part of limiting infection spread.
Outbreak cleaning may become the norm
Before COVID-19, the most common reason we heard from clients on not engaging outbreak cleaning was the belief that sick employees will take sick days. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and sometimes it may also not be enough.
When Coronavirus became a pandemic, we saw a spike in requests for outbreak cleaning and fumigation to prevent infectious germs. We hope this will pave the way for a more proactive approach to outbreak prevention in the workplace in future.
Healthier workplaces and employees
As education around practising good hygiene skyrockets, we predict workplaces will become more proactive in implementing sanitary measures, such as hand sanitiser stations and frequent touchpoint surface cleaning. This will lead to a decrease in workplace sickness, creating healthier workplaces and employees.
More gratitude for cleaners
Traditionally cleaners do not receive much recognition, often being taken for granted. The Coronavirus pandemic has highlighted the crucial role cleaners have in keeping the workplace not only clean, but also hygienic.
If you want to show your appreciation for your site’s cleaner, consider buying them a ‘thank you’ coffee, or a voucher if they are not there during open hours. Or otherwise, keep an eye out for Thank Your Cleaner Day, happening on October 21 this year!
If you require commercial cleaning or outbreak cleaning support, please contact us on 1800 26 26 37 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On average, sick leave was estimated to have cost Queensland SMEs an average of $20,510 in productivity lost each year in 2017. This includes the loss of current and future earnings, and the flow-on effects of other employees becoming sick as a result of individuals coming into work while unwell and spreading germs. Lost productivity can also include lower quality productivity, time wastage and poor morale.
Research has shown that healthy employees tend to be better at decision-making and time utilisation, and have better employee morale. This, in turn, can attract other quality workers and signal to your clients and visitors that your business values professionalism, dignity and respect.
Here are some measures you can take to prevent germ spread in your workplace:
- Place automatic hand sanitiser dispensers near touch points and in the reception area. Touch points are surfaces that are frequently touched by multiple people throughout the day, such as light switches, elevator buttons and the microwave.
- Promote good hygiene practices by placing posters in the toilets and kitchen areas reminding your employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom and prior to touching food.
- Set the standard of cleanliness by maintaining regular professional cleaning for your office, toilets and kitchen facilities, as well as having regular outbreak cleaning fumigations. Regular cleaning can create a more positive company culture as well as long-term cost savings.
- Provide desk wipes to encourage regular wiping down of keyboards, phones, and other frequently touched surfaces.
- Adapt flexible working arrangements and send sick employees home. Coming into work while sick is known as presenteeism, and it can actually increase absenteeism costs in the long run by infecting other employees and reducing productivity levels.
If your workplace has issues with absenteeism, workplace illness and infection control, our cleaning team can assist you with regular professional cleaning and outbreak cleaning via our Nanocyn Disinfectant & Sanitiser® Spray. Contact us today for a complimentary quote.