Employee absenteeism due to sickness can cost your business more than just the expense of sick leave and the productivity lost.
On average, sick leave was estimated to have cost Queensland SMEs an average of $20,510 in productivity lost each year in 2017. This includes the loss of current and future earnings, and the flow-on effects of other employees becoming sick as a result of individuals coming into work while unwell and spreading germs. Lost productivity can also include lower quality productivity, time wastage and poor morale.
Research has shown that healthy employees tend to be better at decision-making and time utilisation, and have better employee morale. This, in turn, can attract other quality workers and signal to your clients and visitors that your business values professionalism, dignity and respect.
Here are some measures you can take to prevent germ spread in your workplace:
- Place automatic hand sanitiser dispensers near touch points and in the reception area. Touch points are surfaces that are frequently touched by multiple people throughout the day, such as light switches, elevator buttons and the microwave.
- Promote good hygiene practices by placing posters in the toilets and kitchen areas reminding your employees to wash their hands after using the bathroom and prior to touching food.
- Set the standard of cleanliness by maintaining regular professional cleaning for your office, toilets and kitchen facilities, as well as having regular outbreak cleaning fumigations. Regular cleaning can create a more positive company culture as well as long-term cost savings.
- Provide desk wipes to encourage regular wiping down of keyboards, phones, and other frequently touched surfaces.
- Adapt flexible working arrangements and send sick employees home. Coming into work while sick is known as presenteeism, and it can actually increase absenteeism costs in the long run by infecting other employees and reducing productivity levels.
If your workplace has issues with absenteeism, workplace illness and infection control, our cleaning team can assist you with regular professional cleaning and outbreak cleaning via our Nanocyn Disinfectant & Sanitiser® Spray. Contact us today for a complimentary quote.